The new Royal Adelaide Hospital lurched further into crisis today when the Weatherill Government sacked Julia Squire, one of the key project leaders.
Ms Squire - the Chief Executive of the Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN) - had been responsible for leading the planning, implementation and transition to the new Royal Adelaide Hospital.
“Ms Squire is just the latest senior health bureaucrat to have departed in the wake of Labor’s disastrous Transforming Health budget cuts,” said Shadow Health Minister Stephen Wade.
“Was Ms Squire a scapegoat for Treasury’s bed cuts plan?
“Was Ms Squire warning the Weatherill Government that the new Royal Adelaide Hospital would not be able to cope without these beds?
“It is ironic that Jack Snelling, the person most responsible for Transforming Health, continues to cling to his job as others fall.”
Whilst there has been no target date for the move to the nRAH since April 2016, there are strong rumours that the Government could be planning for a handover on 31 March with an official opening in late June. 31 March is only 59 days away.
“Today’s sacking means the transition of the hospital is now at even higher risk,” said Mr Wade.
“None of the key project leaders has been in their role for even a year.”
The nRAH project is now being managed by an SA Health CEO from Canada who arrived in April 2016, a project director from Sydney who arrived in April 2016 and an acting Health Network CEO from the UK (via Queensland) who arrived in June 2016.
The loss of Ms Squire means that the project has lost five key leaders in the last two years.
- David Panter, CEO of Central Adelaide Local Health Network (early 2015)
- Andrew Nielsen, Program Director (March 2015)
- Judith Carr, Project Director (April 2016)
- David Swan, CEO, SA Health (August 2016)
- Julia Squire, CEO of Central Adelaide Local Health Network (early 2017)